Wednesday, February 13, 2013

When your life gives you lemons..

make some lemon cake!

A couple of days ago my husband pointed out that our cute little Meyer lemon tree was loaded with 9 lemons.  Since the tree is about 2 feet tall, that is quite a harvest.  So I picked the lemons and decided to use a Barefoot Contessa lemon cake recipe that I love.


The only changes that I've made to the recipe are making the frosting thicker by reducing the amount of lemon juice and leaving off the lemon simple syrup.  In my experience cooking lemon juice never ends well, for some reason it gets stinky and nasty.

The cake is simple to make. I prepared by pans by using some parchment paper in the bottom and buttering the sides.  I usually flour the plan as well, but today I didn't.  I zested the lemons and then juiced them.


Just an eensy bit of butter here, ok, maybe quite a bit of butter.  The recipe makes 2 loaves though and each loaf serves 12 so when you calculate all of that it isn't that bad, right???


After creaming the butter and sugar together for 5 minutes you get a light and fluffy result, I'm ready to add the eggs.

At this point the batter looks curdled but it is ok.  Make sure you clean off the beater because the lemon zest really sticks to it.

Sift the dry ingredients together and mix the wet ingredients in a separate container.  Alternate adding each of these with the butter mixture.


Divide the batter between 2 pans and bake.


Voila! I frost the cakes using with lemon juice and powdered sugar.  Make the icing thick and spoon it over the cooled loaves.
 Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment