Friday, March 29, 2013

Shrinky..

Dinks!

I may be dating myself here somewhat, but when I was a kid way, way back in the 1970's I LOVED shrinky dinks.  I hadn't given them much thought lately until I saw some kits at Joanne's.

That got me thinking, and thinking can be dangerous, especially if you are planning a 1960's Groovy Girl Spring Camp for a Mother/Daughter group I am in with Sophia.

So I did a bit of research and came up with this super fun shrinky dink bracelet craft to do at camp.




I shopped around and found some Shrinky Dink brand blank plastic at my local Michael's.  I purchased the kind that is suitable for color pencils.  Make sure you check the package because there is a lot of different shrinky products out there now.

I cut the plastic into 1 1/2 inch squares, rounded the corners and punched them with a standard hole punch.  Then I let Daughter have at it and we ended up with this:



I followed the baking directions included with the shrinky plastic and used parchment paper to protect my cookie sheet.  Voila, a few minutes later we had shrunken shrinky dinks.

We strung the shrinkies along with some pony beads on thick elastic cording I found in the jewelry making supply section of Joannes.

This turned out to be a super easy project that would be great for spring break crafting or even a birthday party craft.  

The best part?  My boys loved it just as much.  They made dog tag style necklaces and back pack tags.

Happy Shrinking!







No comments:

Post a Comment