Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Freeway art..

.. in New Mexico.

No, I'm not talking about those hideous plastic flower "art pieces" that adorn our SoCal freeways - I'm looking at you Caltrans.

What I'm talking about is the use of color and murals to anchor Interstate highways in the landscape and nothing says New Mexico like pinky beige and turquoise bridges.

Albuquerque I-40 to I-25 transition
Or turkeys..


Or rabbits..


Or quail..


Or bluebirds..


But my absolute favorite are the bridge murals that span the I-25 on the way to Santa Fe.  I wasn't able to find the translation of what is written on either bridge.


close up

But I love the graphic nature and color of the bridges.


close up

I think this sense of place is one of my favorite things about New Mexico.  So much of the country has become generic.  Same fast food, same stores, same everything.

When I travel I want new, I want different, I want something that I can't get at home.

New Mexico does that for me, starting with the freeway art.

Happy Wednesday :)


1 comment: