Tuesday, January 29, 2013

More school assigned family fun

This post continues the saga of the "fun family" assignments that we have been receiving.  With the 1st grade blend extravaganza done, it was time to move onto my 4th grader's Mission Report.  Yes, it is time to learn some California history, people.

4th graders no longer do Mission dioramas because the parents ended up doing all the work - hmm, sounds familiar - so instead Son 1 gets to write a 5 paragraph report on the mission of his choice.

Assorted parts of the Mission report

Luckily, Son 1 picked Mission San Gabriel Archangel, close enough to visit.  We headed up to the mission, took lots of pictures and did a whole enrichment thing, which honestly was pretty fun.  This is the kind of "fun family project" I like.  We also had lunch at a great local deli, but I digress...

More papers

After we visited the mission, Son 1 started writing.  It was pretty painful, trying to manage a 10 year old into producing work that will earn a grade higher than a D.  But the worst part was waiting for the cover page and bibliography to come home from school.  Those two elements along with a information sheet were the only things completed at school.  The information sheet came home in a timely manner, but the cover page and bibliography were MIA.  I started sending the teacher emails and asking for updates on when these two papers might actually make it home.  Really, I'm just trying to be helpful (hear the sarcasm in my voice).  Finally we had the report all done, except for the two MIA pages so I sent off another email.

The MIA cover sheet
The cover page was finally sent home along with a handwritten bibliography just a day or two before the report was due.  I should point out that the picture my son selected is blurry, not sure if it is a resolution problem, printer problem or what.  But at least the report is done.

I know I can be a thorn in the side of my kids classroom teachers, but I'm only saying what everyone else is afraid too.   Besides, I balance out my high maintenance side with volunteer time.  That counts for something right?

No comments:

Post a Comment