Thursday, January 31, 2013

Some times simple is best..

 like with my Mile High Apple Pie.  My Mom has been making this apple pie for years and now I do the same.  Both the pie crust and the filling are from a 1970's version of Betty Crocker, as I said, it is hard to improve upon perfection.  The pie crust you can find here.  The apple filling recipe here.  In my cookbook there is a scaled up version of the filling for a 10" pie, below are the measurements I use for my mile high apple pie filing:
Anyone want a piece?

3/4 to 1 cup of sugar depending on apples
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
dash salt
10 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (I prefer Arkansas Black and Granny Smith mix)
2-4 Tablespoons butter

First off, although everything says 10" pie, I am actually making a 9" pie, I just pile the apples a mile high, get it??  ok, enough :)
pastry cutter ready to do its work
Anyhoo, first step is to make the pie crust.  It is easiest for me to use the shortening that is in stick form.  There is nothing I hate more than trying to spoon shortening into a measuring cup.  I also find that if I try to make the crust and the filling all in one sitting I get very grumpy.  So I now make the pie crust ahead of time and refrigerate it or freeze it until I need it.  Around the holidays, I usually make enough pie crusts for 4 double crusted pies at once and freeze them.
size of shortening once it is cut into the flour
The secret of good pie crust is to make it by hand using an old fashioned pastry cutter.  I've tried making pie crust in the food processor and it is no where even close to the texture you get using a pastry cutter.  Cut the shortening into the flour until the shortening is the size of peas, then stop!  Over mixing is not your friend.  The next crucial step is to mix in the cold water with a fork.  I know it sounds weird but it works.  Use enough water until your dough will stick together.  I usually stop here and package up my crust for later.
Just enough water

crust ready to be stored, if I am freezing it I wrap it in parchment paper, then place it in a Ziploc bag
Now onto the apples.  Again, simple is better.  I have one of those peel/slice machines I can suction onto my counter top but it is too much work unless the kids are helping.  I prefer to use a hand peeler and then just slice up the apples.  I also mix the sugar/flour/spice mixture in a small bowl and then pour it over the apples.  That way each apple gets evenly coated.

Once the apples are ready, I roll out my crust.  I've included a bunch of step by step photos here, because lots of people are intimidated by working with pie crust.  Really, crust is easy.  If you still don't want to make your own crust, Pillsbury makes a pretty good pre-made crust.  You can find it in your refrigerator section.
step 1, I have this Tupperware silicon sheet I like to use when I roll out pastry
folded into quarters, ready to place in the pie pan
crust ready to be unfolded.  Do it gently and don't pull the crust
ready for apples
mile high apples!
 I pour in the apples, arrange them to they all fit, then dot with butter.  The butter does something magical with the flour, sugar and apple juice.  You don't want to leave it out.
almost ready to bake
Finally I put on the top crust, cut some slits to vent steam and put the pie in the oven.  Now, through trial and error, I've learned to cover a cookie sheet with foil and set the pie on that to bake.  This stops any drips from landing on the bottom of my oven and catching on fire.  I also always put some foil around the edge of my pie to keep is from burning.  It is much easier to put the foil on first then after you've noticed that your pie is burning.  I pull the foil off with about 20 minutes left to bake.
ready to go into the oven!
Hot out of the oven

Pie cut while still warm, notice the gap between the apples and the crust, during baking the apples shrink

True story about this pie, when Nadim and I first met we went apple picking and then I made this apple pie for him.  According to Nadim, this pie sealed the deal for him, it is that good.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment