Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ghost and Guns..

as viewed from an 8 year old perspective.

I don't know if you remember, a while back - possibly over spring break - we went to Calico Ghost Town and shooting.  You can check out those blog entries here and here.

Well, guess what came home from school this week?  Son 2's personal narrative about his experience that day.

Sometimes I feel like I'm a great Mom and this is one of those times.  I gave my child a life experience and he was able to remember it and write a great essay about it.

Planning sheet
Let me go on record here that Son 2's teacher is probably one of the best I've ever seen and that includes my own time as a teacher.  The quality of work she gets out of her students is amazing.

page 1
 
I don't remember writing anything this good in second grade.

page 2

Since no one wants to try and read the scanned in pages of Son 2's personal narrative,  I've copied it below for your reading pleasure.

page 3

Ghost Town

Boom!  Did you hear that?  We are going to Calico and we get to go shooting too.

First my family and I drove to a shooting site.  It took a really, really long time to get there.  Once we got there we set up our targets.  They were a creepy, bloody pig, missing an eye.  I hit the pig on his eye, nose, one of his scars and the ear.  While my sister was shooting my brother and I dug a deep hole and built a rock wall in front of it to block the wind while we were working.  We worked really hard on the hole so I took a nap in the car.

After we went shooting we drove to a ghost town called Calico.  We saw the sign on the mountain.  It was big.  At Calico we went into a crooked house called the Shick Shack (he means Shake Shack).  It made my feet hurt.  In the rooms and outside everything was weird.  Things were built wrong.  Water went up ramps and balls rolled upward too.  I think I know the trick to that.  And when you sat in a chair you couldn't get up.  I know the trick to that too.  Finally, after the Shick Shack we panned for gold.  It was tricky.  But I got gold.  I got very disappointed when my brother told me it was fake gold.  Calico and shooting was fun.


Grading rubric

For those of you not familiar with how schools grade primary grades anymore, here is a sample of a rubric.

Times have sure changed, but one thing hasn't - the joy of feeling like you did a good job as a parent.

Happy Tuesday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment