Monday, June 10, 2013

HQ Quilt..

close up.

Here are the promised photos of my sister's HQ Quilt.

The quilt was started back in the 1980's, some of the quilt squares are original and the rest I embroidered over the past couple of years.

Squares on left are new, on right vintage

Some of the squares were partially embroidered, the lower right hand square was one my mother started and I finished.  This square was on the top of the pile during the years in storage and it is pretty discolored.  You can be rest assured that I still torture my Mom over this one :)

Top squares are new, bottom vintage

Some of the old squares had the design already drawn on them and I just stitched them up.  I'm not sure the last time I saw a kitten snow man holding a broom by a tree.

Upper right square is new, the rest vintage

Some of my favorite squares are the ones that the younger girls embroidered themselves back in the day.

Left hand squares new, right hand vintage

I wonder how many skeins of embroidery thread were used in the making of this fan square?

Top right is new and the rest are vintage

I find the family picnic square very interesting with its random drawings. I have a theory that this square was embroidered/designed by a person who did another square shown later in the post.  Let me know what you think.

Top left, bottom right vintage
This set of 4 blocks are all vintage.  I just added some writing.

All vintage
The quilt square by Custodian of Paraphernalia, Pam Brennen looks very similar in design and execution to the family picnic square.  I like this square too.

All new except for the top right square

I embroidered my sister's center square, I got a bit carried away with the roses.

new center square

Here is a close up of the center square, I added lots of knots to give it some dimension.

Close up of center square

Here is the finished quilt in all its glory.


Completed Quilt

My indulgent husband agreed to hold it up for me :)

Happy Monday!

4 comments:

  1. That is very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's gorgeous! So glad you shared. I'm about to embark on making my daughter's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the quilt. Beautiful work and a beautiful way to preserve the memories. My HQ scrapbook has seen better days, for sure!

    ReplyDelete