Friday, February 1, 2013

Busy hands, calm Mommy

I spend a lot of my time waiting around, unfortunately I really hate to wait.  I do better when I have something to do.  For a long time, the last year actually, I've been working on an embroidery project that I can't show you pictures of quite yet.  I just finished that project and was looking around for something to keep me busy while I wait.
Son 1's hat uses Homespun yarn
Son 2's hat uses Wool Ease yarn
Daughter's 2 scarfs, I can't remember the yarn
Enter crochet hats and scarves.  I love to crochet, it is easy but complicated enough to keep my mind occupied.  There is also something very satisfying about taking yarn and turning it into something useful.

I modified this pattern for the boy's hats.  The blue yarn was selected by Son 1 and the orange Son 2.  Each hat takes a couple of hours.  These I made up during the football playoffs.  I really like the texture of the orange hat.


The scarves weren't really made from a pattern.  The pink scarf is made up of double crochets with a chain stitch in between.  The white scarf was my first attempt at knitting.  I love this white yarn, I purchased it a Joannes but they are all sold out of it now.
If you haven't tried any of the traditional "domestic arts" give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! You take after your Grandma - she couldn't just sit without crocheting or doing something.
    There's an organization that some of our teacher's crocheted for a couple years ago. They make hats for preemies in the hospital. They have to follow a specific pattern and use a specific kind of yarn, but they really enjoyed doing it. I haven't crocheted since I was a teenager. I'll have to try it again when I retire!
    Aunt Terri

    ReplyDelete