Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Summitting Mount Everest..

or Mountain Everest as Son 2 likes to call it.

Way, way back in the 80's I was in a Masonic youth program for girls called "Job's Daughters".  Anyway, girls were elected to be the youth leader, called Honored Queen, for a term of 6 months.  Once elected it was your job to run the meetings and plan the calender.
One of many hand embroidered quilt square
Well, I was Honored Queen of Bethel 13 Fullerton in 1986.  When my term of Honored Queen was almost up, all the girls and adults in the program embroidered me a quilt square for a "Honored Queen's Quilt".  This was quite an undertaking and my Grandma Johnson (my Mom's Mom) embroidered many of my activity squares.  The quilt was supposed to be finished and presented to me at my Honored Queen's luncheon, but that didn't happen.
Embroidered by my Grandma
The quilt squares sat around and I embroidered some of the missing ones off and on for years.  Last year I got really motivated to finish it up.  I started talking quilt squares to Daughter's ballet class and working on them at home. I finally finished all the embroidery and assembled the quilt top.  Believe it or not this was not the most difficult part.
Another square embroidered by my Grandma

The most difficult part I undertook today, creating a quilt sandwich.  I used a spray mount to stabilize by quilt back, batting and top.  I was really intimated to do this and kept putting it off.  The quilt is big, really to big to handle myself.  But I decided to go for it this morning.
Getting ready for my Mt. Everest attempt
My driveway and garage door covered with my quilt
It was sunny enough for the spray mount to work well, so I went out in my drive way and got to work.  Two hours later my quilt was mounted!  I am so excited.  All that is left is to do some machine quilting to hold everything together.
Quilt ready to come down and be stitched on

clean up time!

27 years in the making and I'm in the final stretch!

No comments:

Post a Comment