Friday, May 31, 2013

Can you spell better than a..

first grader?

So I'm confused.  First graders are between the ages of 5 and 7 correct?

Maybe I'm seeing things.  You know hallucinating.

Because Daughter's spelling list this week includes the word "courteous".  I'll be honest, I don't even know how to spell courteous without:

A.  Picturing the the word and concentrating

or which is much more likely

B.  Spelling it wrong and seeing what corrections Word pops up with.

Courteous - courteous - courteous  Nope, still can't spell it easily.

Spelling List

Where do these words come from?

Is there a master list of spelling words somewhere that I'm not aware of?

Who on earth thought "Hmm, courteous is an excellent first grade spelling word, those 6 year olds really need to have a handle on words with EOU in them."

Seriously?

And why are we still having spelling tests anyway?

Isn't school over yet?



1 comment:

  1. We didn't get that list! Was it in the conduit? I'm thinking Daughter got the super duper challenge list for smart kids only. But I'm glad you posted this because now I'm going to teach my daughter how to spell courteous. Because I had no clue either and I'm determined that she be a better speller than me. (maybe better at grammer too...)

    ReplyDelete