Friday, April 19, 2013

Found object..

..fun

Have I mentioned that I'm also Son 2's Den leader for our Cub Scout Pack?  I guess I tend to leave this off the long, long list of stuff I volunteer to do because the boys are so much fun.

My supplies, yep looks like a pile of junk

This month our Den meeting consisted of playing a bunch of simple games, to earn an arrow point for their uniforms.  The boys had a great time and it didn't cost me a thing.  You could use these games at birthday parties or during the summer.

Ring toss

Newspaper rings

The first game was a Ring Toss.  I didn't actually have any rings so I just twisted up some newspaper, taped the ends together and voila - rings!  You can see the wooden stakes I pounded into the ground in our side yard.  We had these stakes laying around our garage, but you could use sticks as well.  This was hands down the boys' favorite game of the night.


Washer throw

 The second game as a simple Washer Throw.  I pulled some old pie tins out of the kitchen then scrounged through Nadim's hardware staff in the garage and found 2 different size washers.  The larger washers were pretty heavy and when they hit the pie tin it sounded like breaking glass.

Marble Roll

For the Marble Roll game, I pulled some bottles out of our recycle bin and used Son 2's marble collection.  The object of this game is to shoot a marble between the glass bottles.


Bean Bag Toss

The fourth game was a simple Bean Bag Toss with targets drawn on the driveway in chalk.  I could have used a box and cut holes out of it as a target, but I didn't have a box on hand. The bean bags I made a few years back by sewing a simple bag out of craft felt and filling it with beans.

Puddle Waders

The Puddle Waders were the most fun for me to watch.  I collected a bunch of cans left over from cooking.  With a can opener I punched a whole on the side of the can and the boys put some yarn through it and tied it off.  The trick here is to hold the cans tight to your feet when you walk.  I had one Scout who was able to walk right away, the rest of the boys needed some practice.

Close up of Puddle Waders

The boys also played a game of tag and hide n' go seek down on the green belt.  I think we forget in today's age of video games and TV how much fun kids have just running around in a large outdoor area.

Here's to simple games and the great outdoors :)


No comments:

Post a Comment