Wednesday, April 10, 2013

To volunteer or not to volunteer..

that is indeed the question.  I'm busy, really, really busy with my volunteering.

My dear husband doesn't seem to mind too much, it's only when I hear him grumbling "You should get paid for doing that", that I realize that I could easily hold down a job with the amount of time I spend volunteering.

At what point does it all become too much?  I seem to have the kids schedules under control, but mine - not so much.

As a stay at home Mom, I don't have the excuse of - "I can't, I have a job" and so it seems to follow that because I don't work for money I must have loads of free time.

I wish I did.

I wish it so much, that I'm going to scale back my involvement next year.  A lot.

My tenure as Financial Secretary for the elementary PTA is up in June and I'm not going to hold a Board position next year.

My tenure as Princess of Adventure Maidens is also up in June and although I will hold a Board position next year, it will be one with less time commitment.

My tenure as Committee Chair of the Cub Scout Pack, well that is up in the air.  If I can get a fellow parent to hold the Cubmaster position I will stay June 2015, if I can't I will be out as of June 2013.

My 6 hours of volunteer work in the classroom will be ending in May, and I am going to cut this in half for next year.

As I look at the list above I'm noticing that perhaps I'm not cutting as deeply as I should.

I need to stop picking up the slack of other parents who want their children to have great experiences but aren't willing to contribute.

I'm going to start saying "NO"

I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment