Thursday, April 25, 2013

Teacher rant

Ok, so I'm mad.  Really, really mad.

So mad I want to drop F bombs and all other sorts of inappropriate language, but I won't.

Thursday is "conduit" day at school.  A conduit is basically a big envelope filled with the students work for the week.



Daughter's conduit had a surprise waiting for me.  A Habitat book, a trimester long project, that was given a score of 1.

Yep, 1 out of 4.



Here is the description of what a score of 1 means:  "1 point is incomplete or incorrect.  I did not follow directions.  I did not show that I learned about different habitats."


Now, I'm the first to admit that the quality of her work is sadly lacking and very sloppy.


What infuriates me is that..


The teacher never bothered to let me know that Daughter was not doing well on the project during the 2 months they worked on it in class.  Not one peep.  Not once, during the 13.5 hours I volunteered in her classroom, did one word cross her lips.


Not only that, as it turns out Daughter didn't do well in general during the second trimester.  Do you know what the teacher had to say when I asked her about it???  Apparently, the teacher decided to sit Daughter at a table with some kids who needed a role model.  Guess what happened?  Daughter's quality of work sunk to the other kid's level.


Now why the teacher would allow this to go on for the entire second trimester I have no idea.

I'm also really mad at myself.

I should have been more on top of things.  Daughter didn't like her new table and I should have listened harder. 



I thought the woes of the second trimester were over, Daughter has been in a new seat for 3 weeks now and seems to be doing better.

Until today.

Grrrrrr.


 

1 comment:

  1. So what components was she missing? I thought she was neat enough? She can't expect everyone to be perfect with coloring? Or was it the cutting? She can't expect everyone to produce art masterpieces. Wonder what her expectations are of first graders? Justin would definitely be on the low spectrum of 'get the coloring done as fast as he can and go play'. Not all kids can be as interested in art as others. I'm actually thinking of putting Justin in art class because I feel a little stressed about it since the teacher is always on him about finishing his coloring. Maybe art class will get him more interested.

    ReplyDelete